01 December, 2011

#5. Square Trees


   I'm really surprised that I had difficulty finding pictures of them, as they seemed to be everywhere.  It seemed wherever I was heading, A big hedge trimmer in the sky had swooped down and carved out a perpendicular path ahead of me for me to walk grandiosely through!

  When seeing trees in the winter it seemed that most of them in city areas are pruned tightly into a box or rectangular shape, and come spring, are allowed to grow out naturally, or if along city streets, the foliage is trimmed in to a box shape as well.

  Seen from the viewpoint of someone who grew up in Vermont, where nature's beauty is prized precisely for the naturalness of it, this highly manicured, almost artificial look has an almost surreal quality to it.

  Other than square trees, another thing that I found odd (and funny!) as well, is that parks aren't mowed as frequently as we're used to seeing them. In parks out in the suburbs it wasn't uncommon to see children playing in grass a foot high.

No comments:

Post a Comment